Game Idea Research

From looking back on my game ideas and also doing some more research on each genre, I have decided to focus on creating a stealth game. I chose this genre as I have always enjoyed these types of games and would love to create a basic game that I really enjoy making. I found so many interesting tutorials and ideas of what makes every stealth game great so I would love to explore these ideas to the best of my ability.

There are three main mechanics that I would like to add to my game as I feel they are either essential for a stealth game or just a mechanic I'm really interested in.

Mechanic 1:

The first mechanic is an obvious choice for stealth games, Line of Sight. This is essential for every great stealth game and the challenge of implementing the code to work for my game would be really fun if I got it to work how I want. As you can imagine, there are many tutorials on line of sight in Unity that I found very helpful. Here is a tutorial I found created by Unity that explained everything well for even beginners to understand.

"Line of Sight" - Unity


Mechanic 2:

Depending on the game style I end up going for, my second choice of mechanic is X-Ray Vision. I think that this would be a great addition to my stealth game as it's a little more advanced and would change the whole feel of the game completely. The idea of this mechanic is similar to games like Batman: Arkham Asylum and it's detective mode or a better example which would be Hitman


I found a great video showcasing what this would look like and of course there are many other tutorials to show how to get similar effects. While obviously a bit more heavy on the coding side, I think adding this to a more basic game would still be achievable and it's definitely something I will test out as I think it would be something that just adds a little bit more to my game overall.


Shaders Case Study - Youtube

Mechanic 3: 

The third mechanic I chose for my game is obstacles and keys. Rather than just trying to get around enemies and avoid their line of sights I thought having different obstacles would be a good idea. For example things like cameras, alarms or lasers that you need to turn off somehow. Maybe turning off a camera to get into a room that has the key you are looking for. I found a tutorial on an alarm light that trips when you are in the view of a camera. I think this would be a good idea as it presents more of a challenge as I don't want to create a simple game where you just sneak past terrible AI's with no consequences. Here is the tutorial I discovered that involves coding for alarm lights. 


Alarm Lights - Unity

Below is an example of one of the mechanics I chose, X-Ray Vision. It would just simply highlight the enemy AI.


X-Ray - Pixabay

Overall I feel that this game would be challenging yet rewarding. I would really try and "dumb" things down for a beginner like me as I don't want to try create something that just isn't likely for someone just starting out. I would try and create the very basics of each mechanic named and put them into the game only if I felt that it was working out for me. I'm still struggling on the idea of whether to make this more of an animated game which would be much easier or try and make it more life-like. If I discover that all of this is too difficult I will go for something much easier like a tutorial I found from Sebastian Lague. This is more of just an avoid the enemies line of sight type game which would be much easier for me!



Easier Option - Tutorial










Comments

  1. Hi Dylan,

    I think this is a great idea for a game. It does seem quite challenging but manageable! I would be interesting in playing it once you have designed the game as I rarely play video games this seems quite intriguing. I hope you succeed in creating this game, even if it is only a 'dumbed' down version of your idea I still believe it will be interesting!

    Ingrida.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Heya Dylan,
    I like your idea of a stealth game, I think it's pretty unique compared to everyone else's RPG about collecting things. If I may offfer some feedback, I'd suggest making the graphics more simple from the start and spend more time on making the gameplay fun. The players won't care that they're playing as several polygons if they're enjoying themselves.
    That's it from me,
    Pawel

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts