Unity Tutorial 01

"Unity" - Source

This is my very first time learning how to create a game and just from the basics, I can see how difficult it must be to create a huge project without glitches or mistakes. I learned some basics on creating a game through tutorials on YouTube from a game developer named Jimmy Vegas.

At first, I found the tutorials very helpful and easy to follow as they were a very basic idea. Even without experience I felt comfortable going along with the first two videos. I did run into some trouble at some points as I had an updated version of Unity and found that the UI had been changed around a lot in some parts, it was fairly easy to figure out where everything was though.

I started off with very basic objects like cubes and spheres and centred them on the screen. I then learned how to rotate, scale and re-position a cube in any way I wanted. I found this very simple but also very fascinating as it was so new to me, it was great just to mess around with the tools and see what I could do.

In the second tutorial I learned a lot about texture and how important lighting is to get the best look possible. I downloaded three textures and added them to different objects by changing them to a material. You can also change the metallic look, tiling and size of objects like stone. I found this was very interesting as their are endless possibilities with designs, shape and even creating different patterns. I created a terrain and started blending textures, by simply increasing the opacity you can really see the different in the change of color as it becomes more solid and starts to blend really well. I also added grass that blends in at the side of mountains and dirt, creating a path through the mountains to the other side. I found it really interesting that you could change the material texture smoothness to get different looks.

The last tutorial I did was a bit of a step up in difficulty. I first added a character to my terrain and walked around to see the world I had created, although it's very basic at the moment, I can just imagine the feeling of playing your own game that you have spent years on. I added trees to add to the terrain and make it a little more believable. I really enjoyed creating the grass and adding it to the terrain, although it wasn't difficult it just felt so fascinating to see just how much the game has changed from such a simple touch.

Lastly I created a gem and learned how to use a script so that it rotates. I found this process really fun and the tutorial was very helpful and easy to follow which made it an even better process. I enjoyed messing around with code and I would definitely like to explore that even more as we continue learning about Unity. I found that the C# programming was similar in ways to Javascript which I have previously used in Web Development and also using Twine.

So far I am really loving the basics of creating a game and it's definitely something I can see myself getting interested in as a massive fan of gaming myself. I am looking forward to seeing what awful game we all come up with by the end of the semester! I personally don't expect to have an amazing game, I just want to have fun with it and do the best that I can.






Comments

Popular Posts