Reading 3

Welcome back to my blog!

 I have started furthering my research into my topics and taking note of what I feel is essential to talk about. In my last post I looked at the basics of my topics and researched some definitions so that I really had a good idea of what I would be focusing on as I go on. I have done a lot of helpful searching and have found some great mixture of opinions and definitions on storytelling in games and why stories are so important.

For my first topic "Why put stories in games" I started looking for articles that I felt had the best reasons for this and I also looked for the opinions of game developers themselves. Here are some links to articles I read along with some of the content I thought was the most helpful for understanding the importance of storytelling.

https://wibbu.com/importance-narrative-video-games/.
This source although short, has some great information about storytelling. "The advantage of video games is that, unlike with other types of narrative, the player is part of the story. The player lives the entire experience, and shares the successes and setbacks of the main character." I think that this is a great way to describe how stories impact us and why we get so invested in different characters, we are in control of these characters and the feeling we get from making the "right" or "wrong" decision is one of the reasons people love gaming so much. It's an adrenaline rush for a lot of people knowing that their choices have consequences. This source also goes into the narrative that may be seen in different types of game which could be useful to do some more research on.

For my second topic "What makes a story driven game" I began researching into the different things that are added to games to enhance the storytelling and to compliment other aspects of the game, whether it's the games mechanics or just the story itself. I found an extremely helpful article that I felt had plenty of great points to make about the importance of storytelling.

Story Driven vs Game play Driven. This article gives us differences between both game types and I think it's important to differentiate the two so I understand what I am writing about. Of course since my chapter is story telling I will be focusing more on pointing out the importance of stories in games rather than going too deep into why some games are just fine with just their game play, It's interesting to note that although there are definitely Game Play driven games, they are not nearly as popular and loves as Story Driven games. I think that this article going into the advantages and disadvantages of each topic is also very beneficial to me as I understand why it's important to find the right balance as you design a game.

Looking forward to doing some more research!






Comments

Popular Posts