Learning Challenge: The Present (Video)


I'm finding these videos almost like a break rather than reading through articles which can get quite boring at times. I am definitely a more visual learner and these videos really keep me interested. Last week I really enjoyed an animated short film so I decided to go with another short animation this week named The Present

The present - Youtube

This was an amazing short little animation that has won many awards and deservedly so. The animation is so clear and professional it's great to watch every major and minor detail. I love how the film makes you dislike the boy at first until it reveals why he was acting that way towards the dog in the first place. It's just an uplifting story that anyone can enjoy and for big film nerds like myself it's just really cool to watch something so simple yet so complicated. 

I learned a different way to tell a story through watching this video. Withhold major information from the audience and make them make a judgement that will be completely changed as you get to the end of your story. I have seen different ways of this being done but the simplicity of this one really caught me off guard and at the end it gives you an "oh that makes sense" moment where initially you were thinking "Why is he being this way". 

I would like to research more about storytelling and specifically how to surprise an audience. I want to find more ways on how to create a moment in a story where everything up to that point suddenly makes sense to them. I like how it was done in this short film in particular. Here is an image of a dog just because it feels right for this post. 








Comments

Popular Posts