Prototype

Seen below are some images for my prototype. Each image will have a little description underneath to show its relevance to the game and how it's helping towards the development. I am following this Tutorial playlist for stealth game mechanics but everything else will be different.



"My Map"

This is the level design of my map so far. I keep switching things around and changing the layout so that it makes sense to take different routes and it's not a straight forward path to follow. I'm creating the map with enemy paths in mind so I can space them out pretty easily without any problems of them being too close to each other. I had a map design planned and it just didn't look right when I a lot of it done, I will keep a very similar layout but just switch some things around. I also created a dark sky box as I felt that it didn't really work with day time settings. I will most likely create some type of mountain around the facility to make it seem like it's in a really discreet location. 


"Start screen"

My opening screen is very simple although it took some time to create because of the coding. I liked having a brightness slider as some people prefer a darker stealth game to be fully immersed in the game. It's always a good thing to have either way as some people may just have difficulty seeing certain things in game. I also have a volume slider just in case people find it distracting or want it off completely. This works great though so I'm happy with it. 




"Traps to block off paths"

As you see above, there are traps in my game like laser grids that block you from a certain path. I will try and code a switch to turn them off so that you can return to this path later and it will lead you towards end game. Behind the laser grid is an important key card you need to get to the end of the level and open a door to get to the virus. It's difficult thinking of the map design for this part as I don't want to create a boring choice of paths. This laser grid will set off an alarm that will alert enemies, it won't end the game as long as you hide as quick as possible. I also added a lot of character animations like the crouching one you see here. I  didn't like the movement on the tutorial of the playlist I was following so I changed it so that the camera and mouse follows where you aim your mouse. This was probably one of the most time consuming and difficult things so far. You can also see a camera that follows you if you get in it's sight and also trips an alarm. I haven't added the alarms or enemies yet as I have to create a NavMesh which I want to do once I am certain I am happy with my map.


"The Virus"

This is the virus that you have to collect. I download an image online of a skull and bones as I couldn't really find anything else that gave a look of a virus. I may switch how this looks around another time but it is fine for now I think. I added the spin code that we learned from Jimmy Vegas' tutorials and a trigger as you go over it that makes a noise. I searched for noise effects online as I didn't think the "ding" sound suited a stealth game. I found it difficult overall styling this object for the look of a virus so this was also something I found difficult. 


"End Game"

I will change the text of this and definitely add something a lot more detailed. For now though, this is what happens when you collect the virus. I followed a great Tutorial on how to create this end game sequence and I found it really easy to follow as it's very detailed and shows you how to do the coding. This end game effect includes slowing down time as it pops up and after a couple seconds the game restarts and brings you back to the start. I am not too sure what else I will add here but I will definitely try make something a little more advanced and interesting. 

These are some of the more important screenshots from my game prototype. I am happy with the game overall so far even though a lot of it has been advanced and difficult to follow. I am still really struggling on adding the X-Ray or Night Vision effect as it is really advanced but I will keep trying to add that in as I go on. I almost created it but it made my camera really blurry and I couldn't figure out how to get rid of that blurry effect. I am looking forward to moving on with my game!


Comments

  1. Hi Dylan!

    Wow your game looks fantastic!
    Your prototype is so good! Have you used any other tutorials other than the ones been assigned by shaun? If so which one ?

    Your game is pretty amazing so far im really looking forward to watching your game unfold and hopefully playing it!

    Good luck

    jen :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Dylan
    Your game looks amazing keep up the great work can't wait to see the end product.
    you've put in some great features to help pace your game and change the dynamic.

    Good luck
    Oisín

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts