Growth Mindset

This is the first time I have ever heard of Carol Dweck and her idea of a fixed mindset in comparison to a growth mindset. From watching several videos of her explaining her thoughts on this topic, I feel that her talks are very informative and they made me think differently about how to approach certain things in college. It definitely made me reflect on my own mindset as I have grown and how it has changed over time.

Back when I was in school I definitely feel that I had a fixed mindset. I fell into the category of being afraid to look or sound dumb instead of accepting that I needed to make an effort to learn. Being too hard on yourself can definitely lead to a fixed mindset and unfortunately that is what happens to a lot of people. I definitely see a change from myself back then to who I am now in terms of mindset. I still have a lot to work on and a lot to learn but that is a part of the reason I chose Creative Digital Media. With this course I have definitely felt a push towards growth and creativity whether it be designing posters, websites or even creating our own films. Carol Dweck's talks have made me think about more than education too, letting yourself be creative and not worry about other peoples opinions will benefit you overall. Putting more effort into family, friends and personal life is huge to keep a healthy mindset.
"Fixed vs Growth" - Flickr


There are so many interesting points to take from Carol's talks that I never put much thought into before. I had never really heard the comparison of Fixed mindset vs Growth Mindset before, listening to talks just puts so many things into perspective. I really like that there is science and tests to back all of this up too as it's always great to show proof that something works, it instantly makes you think things like "I never thought of it that way".

"Growth Mindset" - Flickr

One thing Carol has said that I hadn't thought of was not testing kids with hard work. She said that it's a mistake in the education system and from putting some thought into it I actually agree for the most part. Kids feel great when things are easy for them and adults always naturally say how brilliant they are and how the kid found their task so easy. Instead, maybe they should be tested so they can actually learn instead of doing something easily because they already know how to do it or it's very easy. Now the other side to that is, you obviously can't give them something too difficult and you have to make sure to keep a balance of fun too in my opinion or their interest will be lost. Something that really stuck with me was for  "challenging should become the new comfort zone" instead of easy being the comfort zone.  The term "Not yet" is a great way to look at something and is definitely a positive way of thinking about challenges. For example instead of failing it says you haven't passed.. "Not Yet".

Focusing on yourself instead of others is something I took from these talks. It's very easy to go look at someone who did worse than you to make you accept how you have done yourself, even if it's below what you are capable of. My personal challenges as I begin to learn new things are to focus on growth mindset and forget about fixed mindset altogether. Working on mindset is just something that isn't thought about enough in daily life so it's something I'll have to work on over time. I feel that I need to begin applying this to certain modules like design where I hold myself back sometimes as I think "Is this a terrible idea?" instead of just getting feedback.

I would definitely be interested in learning more about mindset and watch more videos to give me different perspectives and ideas that I have never thought of or explored. I feel that this will be extremely beneficial to everyone in our year especially when it comes to group work and expressing ideas to other people. Overall I am looking forward to working on this myself and applying it as much as possible so it becomes normal for me and benefits me in the long run.

Comments

Popular Posts