First Playable

After a long time of figuring out all the complicated ins and outs of Unity 3D, I have achieved my first playable. Although not a completed map/level design it has all of the main mechanics and components needed for my game to work. All I need to to do next is create a NavMesh for my enemies to follow. I will do this as soon as I figure out exactly what way I want my map to look like to make sure my enemies follow the right path. All skins plus textures are downloaded straight from the assets store in Unity. Each image below are all just screenshots from my game.

I have given up on the X-Ray Vision for now as it just isn't working for me. I will complete my game and see if I can add it in after, I don't want to spend too much time looking at something so complicated since I am only a beginner. Everything else has been okay so far, definitely times where I have had to re-watch a tutorial like 5 times because my brain stopped functioning. 

Here are some images of my game. 


Game Menu

This is the starting screen once you play my game. I added my name and student number above the brightness and volume scale when I was messing around with things and I thought it looked decent where I put it. 


Level

This is my level so far, it looks quite bare as I haven't added each route yet. I didn't want to rush through creating my paths as I don't want it to be a really straight forward system where you collect the key card and go straight to the exit. I will be able to work on this from now on since I added my main components to make the game work. I will add more cameras and laser grids as I figure out the map too. I am trying to figure out what I will put outside of the facility, I added a prop bus so far and I may add an interesting terrain like mountains or something that shows the map is in a top secret location. 


Hidden from LOS

The enemy will attack as soon as I enter its line of sight. It isn't moving since I haven't added my NavMesh yet so this is just an example of what it looks like to hide from your enemy. The line of sight is tricky so this was definitely interesting and at times frustrating to mess around with. 


Close up of Enemy

This is what the enemy looks like close up. As you can see, it has a weapon in its right hand. 


Death Animation

As you enter the enemies line of sight it starts shooting at you. It can miss the first shot usually but only if you are running from what I have tested. Here the enemy has found and shot the player. The player will go through a death animation and then the game will restart after a few seconds. I found the animations fun to mess around with. 


Terminal

This terminal is what turns off the first laser grid so you can collect the key card behind it. You may not be able to see it clearly through this image but it gives you a hint on what the code for the terminal is. The terminal is from the assets store and I thought it was really cool how I could go in and change the code you could enter and also change certain sounds the terminal makes whether you get the code right or wrong. 

So far I am really enjoying making my game. It's something I can definitely see myself doing in my own time just for fun. I think it would be cool just to mess around with your own ideas and not have to worry about deadlines so I will most likely keep messing around with Unity in my own time. I have always loved games so learning how to create on has been really cool so far. 














Comments

  1. Hey Dylan,

    I always enjoy reading your blogs and seeing how your game is coming along! It looks like you're progressing really well. I know the feeling about having to let a feature that you had been planning go - it's a tough life!

    The game looks like it's in a really great state for this early into development. The fact that you've gotten the line of sight coded in is really impressive. Will the enemies have set patrols that the player can learn and predict? Or will there be a random element to it?

    How did you come up with your codes? Is it a mini puzzle, or how does the player find out the correct code?

    I'm really impressed. This genuinely looks like it's going to be a fun game.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dylan

    I just finished reading your blog and have to say I am amazed how much your game is coming along. You can definitely see the progress in the images alone never mind the blogs themselves well done!

    I love the addition you have of the power grid and the terminal used to turn it off. Have you possibly considered adding the option of a timer for turning off the grid before it reactivates adding more suspense to the player as it will limit their time to do stuff during the play through. I was also curious if you have a specific code for it overall or will it regenerate into a new one with each play through of the level adding more of a challenge?

    Overall I am amazed with how far your game has come and it looks great! . I am looking forward to seeing how it plays out overall and hopefully I will get the chance to play it. Keep up the good work.

    -Dillon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dylan, I've just read through First Playable and it looks excellent. Your games plans are really coming along beautifully and looks to have huge potential come future game updates. As others have pointed out in your comments section, the addition of the terminal and the power grid along with the time based challenge of trying to stop the grid going off. You mention also that a code needs to be solved in order to succeed, but is the code something super subtle the player needs to blindly guess? Or is there hints and the like surrounding the level where a player needs to search far and wide for say a small number hint or whatever to crack the code shall we say? I don't have too many suggestions to make myself, however one that could be interpreted from what I'm reading is that apparently only one shot is needed for the player to succumb to no more oxygen? Could be a bit alienating for some due to the difficulty, so maybe a health system of some sort may be okay but of course that's just how it seems to come off to me. Great plan Dylan excellent stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Dylan!

    I have really enjoyed reading through your first playable blog post. I have found it really interesting and I like how you have add a game menu, that is a really good idea! I like how you can set the brightness yourself and I am so impressed with how detailed your game is already and I already know its going to be amazing when its finished! The game and your process seem to be coming together for you which is great and you don't seem to have fallen into much difficulty.

    Anyway! Really excited to play the final game when its finished in a couple of week.

    Good luck!

    -EH

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts